Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you catch those big white fish?
[#ff0000]In Montana we used whitefish flies. You ask what's a whitefish fly? It's a wet fly usually in the 12 - 18 size, plain floss body, red seemed to be the best ticket, hackle tail, with another hackle wrapped like a candy cane down the length of it instead of just around the eyelet. The hackle wrapped around the body is then trimmed stubby short. We had our best luck fishing them three feet behind a water bobber casting way above them in the river and letting the set up float by. We would use colored bobbers as you usually would see your bobber doing something "weird" in the current instead of feeling a strike, your signal to set the hook. I've seen them and caught a few in the Logan River but never really targeted them there. Ever since my friends mom made raw pickled whitefish and I was young and dumb enough to try it they haven't set well with me ever since.[Tongue] They are an interesting looking fish and fun to catch. [/#ff0000]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [chickenlicken] How do you catch those big white fish? - by neveronsunday - 10-23-2003, 11:46 PM