Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Berry BEST for Last (Sunday)
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]In Kyle's defense I think the minnow hackles are for his other family members. He's a good boy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started tying the "Copper Pat" jigs several years ago for Kyle and others who hit the Boulders a lot for the big brookies, tigers and cutts down there. Since then I have adapted most of the colors into lookalike fly patterns...mostly on size 4 and 6 hooks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The copper is made with metallic copper chenille body, root beer marabou tail and is palmer wrapped with your choice of hackle...light brown, dark brown or?...The one in the pic below was wrapped with a brown dyed grizzly hackle. Looks darker in the pic than on the fly. And the root beer marabou usually turns darker when wet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Browns and gingers have long been favorites on Strawberry and other waters. I have been doing well on Deer Creek with them for rainbows and other species.[/#0000ff] [/quote]

A Copper Bugger...(Copper Pat) Nice! California Leech is a sort of Copper color as well and originally with a Rust colored tail, so I get that.

Same flies that work for me on DC do not work at Strawberry, however. They will catch fish but they are not the hot take.
I have no idea when you last fished Strawberry, but I wondered how this fly does there.

I can tell you as far as buggers, Herb Patterson's Painted Lady has been killing them for the past month.

The Crayfish are molting right now and turning the most beautiful shades of Orange, so that was one item I tried to duplicate. Worked very well.
The Pat fly is pretty close to Orange, could be the hot fly.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [TubeDude] The Berry BEST for Last (Sunday) - by flygoddess - 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM