Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12
[cool][#0000ff]A few of us "seasoned" BFTers launched a Pearl Harbor Day attack on the whitefish at Bear Lake. I rode to the lake with Old Coot and Neto...who fished from Coot's boat together. Once there, I climbed in BearLakeFishGuy's boat. Yep, I got in a boat. Deal with it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temps were just under 30 at launch...warm for this time of year...but cold enough on the water that we had some ice in the guides for a while. Didn't think to get a read on water temps. One of the other guys can probably fill that in. I know it was "cool to the touch" and if you got your fingers wet the cold breeze made 'em hurt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The two BFT boats were launched from the state park marina by about 8 am. The bubblers were just turned on yesterday. Anybody's guess as to when or if they will be needed to keep the launch lanes open.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While we waited for Adam Eakle and DWR outreach gal Tonya Keiffer to show up we parked the two boats along the outside edge of the marina rocks. BLFG has been scoring some fish there...as have other folks venturing up to "Big Blue" for the annual whitefish thing. Took me a bit of practice to feel the light bite of the whities and to get connected. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I didn't score anything in the few minutes we devoted to the marina area. But BLFG caught 3 species in about 15 minutes. First was the first of several "footlong" whitefish that we all caught during the day. Second was a lovely "golden whitefish"...carp. I managed to capture an embarrassing picture of poor BLFG trying to control the ugly beast after it flopped out of his grasp. In the picture he is hugging it to his chest and it looks like he might try to kiss it. Ugh![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The third fish BLFG hooke[/#0000ff][#0000ff]d was a surprise. It fought hard and stayed deep in the 10 foot depth off the rocks. Then we got a look at a healthy mack in the 6 to 7 pound range. After a few minutes of "piscatorial yo-yo" the inexperienced fish forgot how to hold onto the hook and became disconnected.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shortly afterward, Adam and Tonya motored out of the marina to join us and we got the boats together for some preliminary filming and planning. We decided to all stay on the west side of the lake due to the building "breezes" and the forecast for more and worse. Made up a 3 boat assault on a protected area off Gus Rich Point.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When we got there we found another boat with 3 anglers already whackin' the whities pretty good. One of the boaters was a personal friend of BLFG and the boat was actually his former water ride..."the boat that has caught more walleyes than any other boat in Utah". The boat had formerly belonged to BLFG's dad in Michigan and he was a walleye catchin' wizard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BLFG and I anchored up near the rocky shore to the north of the other 3 guys. Coot and NETO moved a few yards beyond them to the south. Adam and Tonya kinda cruised around nearby, filming the action and moving in for closeups and some background narrative from time to time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The wind was picking up enough to become problematic. It was tough to fish the light 1/16 and 1/8 oz. jigs on light gear without the wind putting a bow in the line and making it tough to feel the light ticks of inquiring whities. Most of us commented that we did best during brief lulls in the zephyrs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everybody caught fish...at least in the BFT crowd. Before we had overfunned just after noon we had all caught between 6 to 10 whitefish...on a tough day. There were quite a few of the "footlongs", with some even smaller. But there were enough bigger ones to provide us all with some fillets to take home...for whitefish and eggs or smoked wonderfulness.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were also a few cutts caught among the whitefish. I hooked two...losing one below the boat but netting another that was maybe 16 - 17 inches. BLFT's buddy in the other boat brought in a healthy 4 pounder. No more macks or "golden whitefish".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We used a variety of jigs...different styles and colors. Most of the fish were caught on little bladed jigs...like the Roadrunners or my new "jingle jigs"...in 1/16 or 1/8 oz. But they were also open to small tubes and grubs. We caught them on just about every color we tried...except hot pink. Best color for BLFG and myself seemed to be "black neon" jigs with gold glitter blades. But we also did well as we changed up to chartreuse, white and even gold with orange spots. Keeping the jigs down at the right place with the right action seemed to be more important than flavor. And the whitefish did move through in small schools. Minutes of nada and then multiple hookups along the line of boats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Getting back to the marina was "interesting". A strong NW wind was putting some "popcorn" on the lake...with straight-sided "ripples". Going fast against them loosened the fillings in your teeth and broke your butt. Going slow...as was the only option with Adam and Tonya's lesser powered boat...was rock and roll seasick time. She was glad to get off the water when we got back in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BLFG and I made a short stop just outside the rocks back at the marina, to see if there were any more active fish there. We got a few bites and I brought in one last footlong whitefish. But a couple of locals fishing right off the point of the marina entrance dinged a couple of keeper whities while we motored around them on the way back in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We definitely found it more productive to tip our jigs with a small piece of crawler today. And the real key was to keep your rod tip low in the wind and watch your line as well as keeping close touch with what was happening at the other end. Some of the fish we hooked were the slightest twitch in the line. Only a few hit hard enough to register as actual bites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, although we caught fish out in 10 feet or deeper water, the majority of our hookups came after casting into much shallower water over rocks. If we weren't getting snagged up a bit we were usually not fishing in the ZONE. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both males and females are "dripping". The spawn is on...but will probably last at least a couple more weeks according to resident expert BLFG.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At the end of the enjoys, we got to meet BLFG's family at his home...and watch gooey chocolate Christmas candies being made. Tonya joined right in to help...probably so that she could keep licking her fingers and the chocolate making utensils. And we were given "sampler" plates of the finished product to take home with us. Sadly, those goodies began acting up on the way home and we had to put them out of their misery. Not many survivors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great day on the water with some great people. Not sure when Adam's filming will air on his Saturday night outdoor program on Channel 5. If he gets his footage edited quickly enough it might be tonight.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12 - by TubeDude - 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Re: [tmas] Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12 - by GSP - 12-09-2012, 01:56 AM