Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12
Hey Roghet,

I know you posed your question to TD but would like to share my thoughts on the topic of which side to fish on for whitefish.

The first Bear Lake fish I ever caught was a whitefish during the run and it was on the west side just outside the marina. But then as years went on, I found myself whitefish fishing the east side exclusively.

Now I had heard that BearLakeFishGuy had done quite well last year over near Guss Rich point which is over on the west side. But since I had never fished that area, I wasn't sure just where that was. So this year I was hoping to stalk BLFG if he headed out there. I was in luck and now I have three places to fish the whitefish.

Having spots on the west and east sides of the lake is good when the wind is blowing (which it was Friday). If the wind is out of the west, the the west shore is likely still fishable but the east shore would be real dificult to fish. And on the flip side of the coin, if the wind in out of the east, fishing the west shore would be bad. But this way, I have locations on both sides of the lake.

Also, one other factor to consider when trying to decided where to whitefish fish is the level of the lake. Last year the lake level whas much higher than normal and the whites weren't in my normal east side location ... hense, last year was a bust for me.

Apparently, when the water is high, the Guss Rich point area is much more productive than the east side. In lower water years, the east side is a better choice. This year the water up there is kind of in between and so both locations are ok. And that's a good thing if you have to factor in the wind when trying to figure out where to go.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12 - by TubeDude - 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Re: [tmas] Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12 - by GSP - 12-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Re: [Roghet] Bear Lake Westside 12-7-12 - by Old_Coot - 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM