Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp fishing assistance?
I catch carp here in Arkansas in the St.Francis River using shrimp.

I used to lose a lot of them because I was using Catfish hooks, but since I changed over to Circle hooks and let them run a few seconds before I "slowly" reel in the line and allow the circle hook to do it job I don't lose hardly any.

You shouldn't be breaking your line if you set your drag right. I have caught 15lb carp on 10lb BPS Excel line and not broken line. Make sure your drag is set to let the carp take line at about 6lb pressure that way even if they get a burst of energy and make a fast dash it won't break your line.

One thing about carp. Play them down and wear them out. They can't be hawged in like channel catfish. You have to allow them the time to wear out. If you don't wear them out you will probably lose them at the bank because they often make a crazy last dash with their remainin energy and break your line or throw your hook at the bank.

Hope this info helps! Here is a picture of one I caught a couple years ago at the bridge on the St. Francis River in NE Arkansas.

[inline Photo-0058.jpg]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Carp fishing assistance? - by Fairbanks696 - 01-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Re: [Fairbanks696] Carp fishing assistance? - by bytebull - 01-31-2013, 04:59 AM