Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dad's Day Delay...Starvy 6-17-13
[#0000FF]Didn't get out fishing at all last week. Wind sucks. TubeBabe spent the week terrorizing the Park City area with her 3 sisters so she was amenable to sending me off to Starvation by my ownself. And Monday looked like the best potential day without a lot of wind...so I done it.

Launched the old Fat Cat (the tube, not me) at Rabbit Gulch just before 7 am. Amazingly, I was the only one there at that time. A few more anglers showed up later to keep me company...but only in small boats, tubes and toons. I can deal with that. Cain't abide jet skis and the power squadron.

Air temp was 50 and water temp still a chilly 60 when I launched. Water warmed a couple of degrees by noon but still behind schedule. The fish acted accordingly. They played hard to get...again.

Started in "search mode". Ran the electric motor on low speed while watching sonar and making big S turns over my usual productive areas. Dragged a jig and fly combo behind the tube while watching the sonar for fishy marks. Din't see many blips but had to stop the tube a few times to help some silly trout get off my hooks. They were rolling on top but were also showing up at mid depth over deeper water and even right on the bottom in 30 feet or more.

Made brief exploratory stops at several favorite humps and bumps. Sent down various jigs and trinkets to entice a possible walleye or perch. I did get a couple of dink smallies, a couple of dink perch, one nice 12" perch and a couple of footlong walleyes. Few and far between.

But those everlovin' Starvation steelhead provided some interesting interludes. They would whack the jigs meant for the other guys and then rocket up off the bottom to tail dance for an audience of one...me. I swear a couple of those wacky wainbows went over 5 feet in the air.

There were several fly flingers in the group of tooners and small boaters that launched after I did. Judging from the squeals and hollers...and the splashing alongside their craft...they found some playful troutskis too. Much fun.

It was a lovely morning. Never got worse than "fishing riffle" breezes. Wish the water would warm up...and stay up. Already starting to drop fast...over 3 feet down since my last trip about 10 days ago.

Not a barn-burner day for walleye or perch but did get to bend my stick and stretch my string on some fine slimers. Even invited 4 of them home for dinner.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Dad's Day Delay...Starvy 6-17-13 - by TubeDude - 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM