Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tube head around here
[#0000FF]Always better to be overly cautious than overly sorry. I have been float tubing for over 50 years...in a wide variety of floating devices...from round donut tubes to pontoons. And I can truthfully claim that I have never known of a tube to suddenly deflate while on the water, from any cause. Over the years I have experienced a fair number of minor punctures and pinhole leaks...caused by anything from cactus spines to fish spines. But in virtually all cases I noticed the gradual loss of air pressure in time to make my way safely to shore before sinking or losing any gear.

All that being said (typed), I will also say (type) that I have never grown complacent about the potential for such problems. When I go afloat I have my lures and hooks covered and protected within rigid plastic containers...and I never toss one inside a pocket "to take care of later". Seen some bladder punctures as a result of that kind of carelessness. I am also very careful about using my knife or any other pointy things while tubing. I always make any necessary cuts on my rigid plastic apron (sushi board) rather than on the surface of my tube. But I have seen others using their nylon covers as cutting boards. Seems like a good way to thin the herd.

Accidents can and do occur. By definition we cannot anticipate them. They just happen. But we can reduce them by using common sense. And we can minimize the consequences by being properly prepared for most potential problems.

Having a PFD is one of the better things we can do for ourselves (and our families) to help insure that an unforseen happenstance is not our last fishing experience. Where and how we carry it on board is a matter of personal choice...depending upon our degree of caution and worry.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
New tube head around here - by dayhut - 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Re: [dayhut] New tube head around here - by TubeDude - 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM