Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon looksee 8-12-13
[#0000FF]Ding dong weather reports kept changing and this morning's forecrash was for wind. Duh. Same ol' same ol'. Decided to do some checking on the harbors to see if there were any baby white bass showing up yet.

Got to Lindon about 6ish. A mild south breeze was rippling the water but not goshawful. Saw a few little "raindrop" rises where whitettes were picking off early midges. In years past the harbor has looked like it was boiling about this time of year. Still...I worked a tiny jig head under a bobber...with a piece of worm...and brought in enough for a fishing trip. And I had brought my tube and tackle so I was ready to hit the water.

Got launched just before 7. Air temp 65 and water temp 73...inside the harbor. Stayed there until noon even though it reached 75 in the main lake. Depth inside the harbor varied between 3 and 3.5 feet, with a few spots slightly deeper or shallower. Only 2.5 feet just outside the harbor.

Worked the shoreline on the way out and pitched small plastics into several formerly productive areas. Nary a nibble. And it occured to me that this was a rare trip that I had not seen a carp splash or any on the surface. That held up all day. The carp have disappeared from Utah Lake. Yay, Junies. Yeah, right.

Cruised down to the bubbleup to see what the depth was and if there were any customers to be had anywhere along the pipeline. Noticed some minor outflow from the end of the pipe. Made a couple of casts into my ZONE and went bendo on a 13 inch white bass. It was healthy and fought well. I was thinking this might be a bananner day. Alas, I caught one other 12 incher but did catch a couple dozen nine to ten inchers. The good news is that all the fish I caught today were filled out and healthy. The whities are dining well on this year's spawn.

Before starting to cast plastics to the pipe I had put out a bait line...with one of the little whities I caught inside the harbor. While I was unhooking my first keeper white bass the bait rod bounced and line started streaming off the open-bail reel. Bendo. My first kitty whupped on my a couple of minutes before getting an insane desire to crawl in my net...and then my basket.

Had fairly fast action for a couple of hours...white bass on plastics and catfish on baby whities. Most of the white bass were about 9 inches...but fat enough to give up a decent fillet. I kept a few for scampi. I also kept a half dozen cats to fill out our supply for a family ordered fish fry over Labor Day.

That is the first semi-active white bass action I have had at the bubbleup this year. Glad to see it. Now if the lake doesn' go dry. The pipe is just under the surface for a long ways out. There were a couple of tanglers standing on it and catching small white bass in less than 3 feet of water.

The water at the end of the bubbleup was only 5 feet deep. I caught most of my catfish while dragging a bait parallel with the pipe...and in 3.5 to 4.5 feet of water. No bites shallower or deeper. And most of the white bass were in similar depth...close to the pipe and usually near where the water was coming up to the surface.

Ran out of bait about the time the southerly zephyrs starting tuning up for the afternoon shift. Hit the ramp about the time the power squadron was getting set up for the day. Great timing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Lindon looksee 8-12-13 - by TubeDude - 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM