Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Survey 8-14-13
[#0000FF]This is my week for "checkin' out" places I haven't fished for a while. Monday it was Lindon...Utah Lake. Today it was Bunny Gulch on Starvation.

Launched into a light offshore breeze about 6:45. Water temp 67...warming to 69 about the time I left at 11:30.

Nice and calm but the fishing came to an early end when the "Noise City" crowd started running around the lake in their jet skis about 9:30. They ran right over the shallow areas where the fish had been holding and all the fishy marks on my sonar went bye bye. No more tugs neither. Guess even though it is midweek there will be no peace for fishermen until after school starts.

Got off to a good start in about 12 feet of water. Found some fish blips and they voted for the jigs I offered. Got several walleyes...some underfooters, a couple of footlongs and one nice 16 incher I invited home for dinner. Threw back some dink smallies and kept one 13 incher as company for the walleye.

Kept working S turns over the dropoff into the channel...looking for 11 to 14 feet and dropping down whenever there appeared to be inhabitants. Found one area with some small clusters of sonar marks rather than the singles I had been fishing for. Whatchaknow? Perchies. I brought several to the tube...smallest about 8 inches and biggest about 10 inches. Kept three to round out a dinner.

That was about the time the noisy chorus of jet ski motors began tuning up. And, as I mentioned before, they made a run all around the edge of the lake right over top of the productive depths. After that it was rare to see any marks and I did not get another bite in about two hours. I'm guessing the power squadron had been camped there for a couple of days and the whole Gulch had known the wonders of their noisy motors. That would account for the scarcity of fish and the sudden shutdown after the first go round.

I are a fisherman and an optimist. Gotta be both. So I motored around to several previously generous spots...at different depths...looking for the vanished fishies. Occasionally I would see one or two cruising above the bottom in deeper water but they would never play with me.

Got three species today...one short of my usual "Starvation Slam". No trout in evidence on the top or anywhere below. Water is warm and I suspect the trout have gone deeper...or maybe up into the Strawberry inlet arm like they did last year under similar conditions. A couple of guys in a tin boat came by and said they had not caught anything in two days. Appeared they were trolling for trout.

Water level is about 12 feet down from high water mark. That is about 3 feet lower than it was on my last trip to Starvy...on the 19th of July. I have seen it lower at this time of year in the past.

Think I'll probably hold off on Starvy until toward the end of September. Get the power squadron thinned out and the water a little cooler. That should get the fish more plentiful and more active.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Starvation Survey 8-14-13 - by TubeDude - 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM