Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua CSI question
[#0000FF]Wonder how that tail light got into that fish. Musta been following too close. Stupid Utah drivers.

I couldn't begin to list all the wacko things I have found in fish I have caught over the years...both fresh water and salt water. But limiting it to Utah fish it still is a pretty big list.

Of course there are all the standard food items...bugs, snails, minnows, crawdads, etc. But then there are sticks, cigarette butts, small stones, plastic lures, hooks and swivels, sinkers, and a few beads. I once witnessed an autopsy on a Deer Creek rainbow that had a ladies' ring in it's gut...a cheap one but it had a pretty red stone.

As might be expected, some of the wildest and grossest stuff has been in catfish...like the head and neck of a merganser (bird). Also found a whole small chicken. And there have been numerous rodents...like voles and mice. Two years ago I caught a big early spring kitty at Lindon that had about a dozen small frogs in it.

Walleyes are surprisingly omnivorous. I have found just about every species of Utah fish in their bellies. That includes perch, white bass, carp, trout, sunfish and even catfish. Oh yeah, crawdads and frogs too.

I gotta chuckle when fly-flinger troutaholics go off about how finicky their spotted pets are. I probably find more "junk" in trout than any other species...stuff like cigarette butts, sticks and stones, etc. Sometimes they purty it up a bit by slurping down some colorful "Power Putty" for dessert. The argument is that they mistake these inedible objects for standard food items. But why izzit they turn up their noses at a perfect fly imitation of the bugs upon which they are actively feeding? I dunno.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Mantua CSI question - by TubeDude - 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Mantua CSI question - by RockyRaab - 12-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Re: [RockyRaab] Mantua CSI question - by TubeDude - 12-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Mantua CSI question - by RockyRaab - 12-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Mantua CSI question - by RockyRaab - 12-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Re: [RockyRaab] Mantua CSI question - by TubeDude - 12-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Mantua CSI question - by RockyRaab - 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Mantua CSI question - by RockyRaab - 12-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Re: [RockyRaab] Mantua CSI question - by TubeDude - 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM