Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Hockey at Willard 2-18-14
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]
Doing without fish while helping others is a noble thing. I'd like to think that the karma rewards more than make up for the temporary lack of action. Too many dads forget to make a fishing trip about the kids and not about them. It makes me boil inside when I hear the sounds of some guy screaming at his kids across the lake...just because they got a tangle or lost a fish...or whatever. That has probably turned off more kids to fishing than almost any other thing that could happen on a trip with dad.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

Ugh. One of the things I looked forward to the most about being a dad was being able to teach my kids to be as fanatical as I am about fishing, and to spend our lives together making memories on the lake and river. I remember the day when my daughter started crying on an ice fishing trip, and said that she would rather be in school than fishing; I had ruined fishing for her because I was too selfish, and forgot the big picture. Unfortunately, I'll never get a second chance (I had probably 30 chances, to be honest) with her and I am reminded of it, and regret it, every time I ask her if she wants to go with me and she declines.

The silver lining? My three year old shows promise and an aptitude for the "lazy" part of fishing (she could chuck a worm and sit for hours and be content), so hopefully I can keep things rolling and my six year old will come around and give me another chance.

Moral of this story? Don't be a dick. Or something.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Tube Hockey at Willard 2-18-14 - by TubeDude - 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Tube Hockey at Willard 2-18-14 - by TroutBumDave - 02-20-2014, 04:44 AM