Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Willard 5-14-14
[#0000FF]Finally arranged a long overdue meetup with Skunkedagain. We hit the north marina at Willard about 6ish...launching about 6:45...me in my tube and he in his toon. Air temp 37 and water temp 55 at launch. Warmed to almost 60 by 1 pm departure.

Water inside marina still only about 4'. 8-9 feet in channel going out...and dropping quickly to 11-12 feet straight out from channel entrance.

We both dragged minnows while pitching plastics. Jeff also worked a crankbait a bit. Made big S turns from about 6 feet deep to 12 feet deep. Saw most fish in 8-10 feet but no biters. Finally started seeing some suspenders and dropped straight down to them. First crappie. Got a second a few minutes later in the same area. Then one more before moving off to hunt for bigger game. Figured I could come back later.

Covered a lot of water...almost all the way to the north dike. Caught a couple of cats on minnows and had a couple more pop and drops.

Jeff scored one cat and one nice crappie to drive the skunks away. But just as he was getting into some crappies his one pontoon started sagging and he beat a retreat for his pump...back in the truck.

The spot we had planned to work for crappies was taken. There was a guy in a yellow kayak that had put out a marker buoy right on my numbers. Turned out to be someone I knew...and who uses my jigs. He limited on crappies. Thass okay. Grumble grumble.

Also saw Wyoguy out on the water...with his furry deckhand. Said he had a wiper hooked but arranged an early release for good behavior.

One boater reported catching 15 wipers early, on a spot where they were stacked up. Other boats did not seem to be doing too well.

Back at the ramp Jeff and I had to wade out to help a big pontoon party boat get back on the trailer...after it quit and wouldn't restart. Brand new boat supposed to be delivered to a buyer in Lake Powell. They were taking it out for a quick checkout. And they were glad a couple of tubers and tooners were there in their waders to help trailer the ailing boat.

Beautiful weather all morning. Water temps were coming up fast. Should be gangbusters the rest of the week.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Chilly Willard 5-14-14 - by TubeDude - 05-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Re: [RockyRaab] Chilly Willard 5-14-14 - by Hnaf - 05-15-2014, 04:39 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Chilly Willard 5-14-14 - by r2u2 - 05-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Re: [r2u2] Chilly Willard 5-14-14 - by TubeDude - 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Chilly Willard 5-14-14 - by wyoguy - 05-16-2014, 02:26 AM