Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail
booyaa: Great challenge question to the veterans. "Greenhorns" to yellowtail and seabass would be like a highschooler starting at right tackle for the Packers. It would be a definate challenge. Most prospective anglers would probably have a "little" knowledge of fishing and have some tackle they have used for other saltwater techniques. I would suggest that they adapt their tackle to the problem. (1) Your reel must have an excellant drag capable of withstanding the screaming runs of a 20 lb yellow and the freight train runs of a 25 lb seabass.(2) The rod should be able to set the hook and pump the fish back.(3) The running line should be fresh line not all twisted from prior use. If you are fishing in the areas of yellowtail and sea bass you are usually around bass fishing and of course barracuda. If one is truly a "greenhorn" (or maybe not) adapt your tackle to the kelp rock habitat. I carry three outfits to Catalina (aside from the billfish rod hiding in the bow) (1) A 9 foot Pac-bay 1087 with a Shimano Star 15/30 loaded with "new" Ande 15 pound and (2) a 9 foot Pac-Bay 1087 with another Shimano Star 15/30 loaded with 30 pound Ande. My third set-up is a Pac-Bay 1089 (a horse) loaded with 40 lb on a Shimano Speed master TSM. This covers all the fishing situations that come up. If one is a greenhorn, he could get away with one of the lighter oufits and the expense is very reasonble. In closing I learned some valuable lessons on the Farnsworth and Isthmus Highspot, that being.......forget the light tackle. George <br><br>George Van Zant<br><A HREF="http://www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm " target="_new">http://www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm </A><br>

Messages In This Thread
Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by booyaa - 02-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Re: Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by booyaa - 02-20-2002, 05:14 AM
Re: Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by booyaa - 02-22-2002, 03:07 AM
Re: Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by booyaa - 02-23-2002, 06:40 AM
Re: Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by gvanzant - 02-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Re: Set-Up for White Seabass & Yellowtail - by booyaa - 02-25-2002, 07:24 AM