Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie Condos & Wiper Twins
[#0000FF]Between TubeBabe's ailing leg and Mama Nature's huffy attitude we haven't been able to hit Willard for a while. Trudged the tubes to the North Marina this morning for some overdue enjoys.

6:30 launch at our own private float tube launch (where they have it coned off for boat trailers). Air temp just under 50. Water temp 68. Jes fine for dunking waderless.

Lots of boats launching with us so we boogied out of the marina before doing any fishing. TubeBabe was first launched and caught her first crappie right at 7 am. I followed a couple of minutes later. Then nothing for a long dry spell.

We were dragging a minnow on one rod and pitching tandem crappie plastics on the second rod. After a half hour of no love on either, I used my GPC system (get pretty close) to triangulate a couple of humps that usually hold some fish. I think their new official designations are Rocky's Atoll and Rocky's Ridge.

Started getting post spawn crappie munches right away on my first spot. Tossed out a marker and called TubeBabe over after catching several in a row. Left her to work the active fish and I moved over to a nearby hump. Fish there too. Pretty crappie fishing.

In betwixt a whole lotta crappies I caught a couple of kitties...one so small I let him back in to grow some more. Also got surprised with a walleye that jumped. Well, actually it was a small smallmouth.

Then evidently a school of 21 inch wipers cruised through the area. I hooked one on a small blue and sparkle tube and had much fun. Stick bend and string zing. Fought at least slightly harder than the crappies.

Then TubeBabe went bendo on her spot. Another 21 inch wiper...on a white tube. Everybody on that part of the lake should have been able to hear her. She does warble a bit when fishcited. I was happy she got to play with one. She does enjoy the heck out of hearing that drag squeal.

We both had limits of ten crappie by 9:30 or so...after tossing back a bunch too. Decided to put up the small tubes and fish larger plastics and/or cranks. Good plan except all we caught were bigger crappies. Threw back a lot of footlongs or bigger.
Had quite a few that were hitting my 3" gulp minnows. They evidently couldn't read the "Wipers Only" sign I put up.

Weather was beautiful. No wind ever. A few fishing boats but no power squadron...yet. I managed to get a Willard slam...4 species. TubeBabe had much fun and caught a lot of fish...but no kitties. Unusual for the Kitty Queen. And her ailing leg held up fine.

Ramp was starting to get busy as we loaded up about noonish. A couple of other guys at the fish cleaning station. They got a few wipers and some nice walleyes. I think there is still some good fishing left until the water goes over the 75 degree mark. Then the walleyes will slow down and get more nocturnal.

Shad should be spawning soon. Carp were busy in the shallows from daybreak on. I think the cats are also looking for suitable dating accomodations. There are usually a lot more to munch our minnows. Oh yeah, I even got one crappie on a minnow.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard Crappie Condos & Wiper Twins - by TubeDude - 06-05-2014, 09:44 PM