Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocky's Reef and the cat house
[quote gofish435]Great report, as usual, Pat.
I don't know how you do it with all your poles, jigs, lures, and flies. When I saw your fishing vessel for the first time I thought it was rigged for ham radio operation, then I realized those were just extra poles. I have a hard enough time staying out of trouble with only one pole and one fly.
Sounds like a great day on the water and it looked pretty calm too.
Thanks for sharing.
Tom[/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks Tom. It was a great day with only a slight wind ripple a couple of times.

Most folks who see my array of rods question how I manage to manage them. All I can say is that my current system is the end result of a whole lotta trial and error. But thankfully the errors are few these days. As long as I remained focused and don't get wacko it all works well.

With my two rod system it is not uncommon for me to have double hookups. By keeping my drags set properly and using my fins to position my tube I can usually keep one rod in the holder and battle two fish...one rod at a time. I have landed double cats...each over ten pounds...and at Huntington (Mammoth) I have had doubles on tiger trout several times. One time I even had and landed a double on one of the rods...a trout on each of the the jigs.

That being said, If I hook up a large fish of any species I usually try to reel in the second rod to keep from tangling while fighting the fish. That requires a temporary placement of the first rod in the holder while I reel in the second. I'm sure some of my antics would be good fodder for a funny videos program.

In times past I carried a fly rod in my assortment more often. As long as the wind was not blowing and I kept my casts short or sidearm I didn't have problems with tangling. But with all of the PVC stuff on my tube these days it is tough to even think about trying to manage the loops of line while fly fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Rocky's Reef and the cat house - by TubeDude - 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Re: [gofish435] Rocky's Reef and the cat house - by TubeDude - 06-25-2014, 11:58 AM