Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL low tide pics 9-7-14
[#0000FF]Took my child bride to breakfast this morning and then headed for Utah Lake to check out a couple of things...and to enjoy a nice sunny morning.

First on the list was the Knolls. It has been closed to public access since late 2012 but ongoing negotiations between land owners and DWR...along with Utah county commissioners...are making good progress. In anticipation of an agreement, Utah County has sprinkled some new gravel on the access road from mile marker 19 (Redwood Rd or Hwy 68) down to the water's edge. Not much grading or other road maintenance but the gravel is nice. Better than rutted mud.

But, that's about it. There are still posted signs for the property on both sides of the road and above the shoreline road next to the water. In other words, you can drive down and fish but you can't drive, park, shoot or party on the property away from that access.

Water levels are almost as low as they got towards the end of the last big drought...ending in 2004. Only a few more inches to drop and it will be there. That means that the water anywhere close to the shoreline is pretty shallow. According to some good ol' boy (GOB) bank tanglers we talked to down there, the catfish were tearing it up until about 2 weeks ago. Then when the cooling storms and lower water temps showed up the fish moved out deeper. There are some deeper spots off the Knolls, if you know where to look, so it should be good for tubers and boaters in the next weeks.

We were pleasantly surprised to see very little trash, in spite of evidence that there have been a few folks using the area again. And the guys we talked to said they are regulars and usually bag up and remove some trash on every trip. Still, when we drove east to another area where a small group was wading and fishing offshore we found a couple of dirty diapers and some "imported" beer bottles and boxes. Why can't they take out what they bring in?

Drove around the back side of the lake and was amazed at all the acreage that has been planted in corn since our last trip around there. Somebody must believe that ethanol is the wave of the future.

Super low water conditions around Goshen Bay area. But there were several groups of bank tanglers enjoying the nice day. Didn't see much evidence of action or excitement. Water has to be very shallow there too.

Couldn't believe my eyes as we approached Lincoln Point. There were trucks parked out on the exposed rock shelves and quite a few wading anglers working over the shelf lines off shore. Looked about like it did back in 2004...before the big winter filled the lake to the high water mark again.

The fence that has been keeping the public out of Lincoln Point area has been opened...between the old building and the turnout area. Not sure if the property owners are complying with public access requirements for lake shore below high water mark or if impatient anglers tore it down. Will have to see whether it gets closed up and reposted. But for now you can drive down on the old dirt roads...but be careful. Good tires and high clearance advised.

The concrete barrier across the dirt road off the north dike at Lincoln Beach has also been moved off and you can drive out to the first spring. The rock shelves out there are out of water and driveable. Watch out for Corona beer bottles left on the ground. I ran over one but did not get a flat.

There was a truck parked at the first spring when we drove out for a look. They were launching a small tin boat inside the spring...with oars only...no motor. But the guy had to row a few yards to a rock dock...for his wife and kid to crawl in the boat. Hope the wind didn't come up later. At least the kid was putting on a life vest as we left.

Purty day for a drive in the country with the old lady. And I found a couple of spots I wanna dunk my tube as soon as Mama Nature settles down for at least a day or two.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
UL low tide pics 9-7-14 - by TubeDude - 09-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Re: [TubeDude] UL low tide pics 9-7-14 - by BS - 09-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Re: [BS] UL low tide pics 9-7-14 - by TubeDude - 09-10-2014, 11:59 AM