Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
I am sure this will be another spirited conversation. I am awfully glad spearfishing isn't nearly as easy as many believe or everyone would do it. It would be interesting to know how many people spearfish in utah.
Please allow me to share an average day spearfishing for me. I will use my last experience at Starvation.
1. Show up at lake and find an area with no boats or shore fishermen so as not to cause any issues
2. Suit up and hit the water
3. Make between 50 and 100 dives holding my breath and diving between 15&45 feet with visibility ranging from 3-5 feet
4. At least once per trip dive or swim to avoid skier or troller who doesn't know or care what a dive flag is
5. Swim to shore on multiple occasion to allow fishermen to "fish through" exchanging pleasantries and giving them the new anchor I pulled up from the bottom.
6. Kill between 10&50 carp and turn them to crawdad food
7. After hours of straining my eyes in dirty water harvest one 11" bass and one 3.5# walleye for two divers
I have had more successful and less successful days than this but this is fairly average. I am able to harvest many, many more fish with rod and reel than with speargun.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [TubeDude] To spear...or not to spear? - by Fishsticker - 09-09-2014, 02:22 AM