Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
[quote doggonefishin]How easy is it for the average spearfisherman to tell the difference between the two species when underwater?[/quote]

[quote Fishsticker]I can only speak for myself, I have no difficulty telling the difference. The line down a largemouth is unmistakeable.[/quote]

I have no reason to doubt Fishsticker. However, there is still an issue with enforcement of regulations. How in the world is anything enforced for spearfishermen? I hate to say that anyone is dishonest, but what happens when a mistake is made? Everyone makes mistakes with fish identification -- yes, even myself once in a while -- so what happens when a mistake is made by a spearfisherman and he pulls the trigger only to find out that he mistakenly shot the wrong species? Does that spearfishermen bring that fish to the surface, then turn himself in for a citation? Maybe. I hope so. But my gut says that many people may not. They might just sink the fish because there really isn't any way that someone is going to find out that they made a mistake.

This is the issue that concerns me. Spearfishermen really are on their honor.

I think that the recommendation to have spearfishermen register with the state is a pretty good idea.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [Fishsticker] To spear...or not to spear? - by PBH - 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM