Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
[#0000FF]Good insightful comments.

I have been asked to weigh in on my viewpoints, since I started this. First of all, I did a lot of diving and spear fishing in salt water, in my younger years. Thoroughly enjoyed it and worked through the various stages of first shooting everything, then only certain species of above average sizes and then hunting only the very largest fish of a targeted species. Never did pursue fresh water spear fishing. I have dived in a few lakes and rivers, mainly to observe the fishy life and to learn structure.

Salt water spearfishing is different in many respects. But when compared to freshwater there is the immediate concern for harvesting what is usually a finite number of fish in a closed environment. Anglers are self limiting. As the fish population declines there is less catching and less pressure...and the fishery usually regenerates itself. A spear fisherman can harvest down to the last fish. But they generally don't. Most I have known have high standards of ecological concern and have just as much interest in preserving a fishery as anglers do.

As has been recognized and stated in other posts, anglers typically have a knee-jerk aversion to spear fishing because it gives others a chance to kill large fish that they would prefer to catch on rod and reel. Selfish personal feelings. But chances are...as has also been stated...the angler would likely never catch those big fish anyway...through bad luck, inability, poor timing or a bunch of other factors.

Spear fishing does remove a few fish from our waters that anglers would dearly love to be able to catch. But in many cases the very largest fish are approaching the end of their days anyway. In fact, many are either no longer spawning or do not spawn effectively. It ain't like they are young vibrant fish blasted out of the gene pool. It is like harvesting old deer or elk who are past their prime. More of a mercy killing for the animal rather than letting it suffer and die from winter conditions, disease or predators.

The other valuable service Utah spear fishermen provide for anglers is their focus on slaughtering tons of carp. Old buglemouth makes a good target for underwater spearing, they are plentiful and removing them is both fun and beneficial to the environment. Many spear fishing tournaments are focused on carp and they usually kill a bunch.

Drew expressed his neutrality on the issue but said that he was eager to get as much input as possible from both sides. He also is open to ways to be able to better monitor the impacts of spear fishing and to enact special regulations when and where needed. In short, there is plenty of opportunity for both sides to coexist and to benefit equally from our Utah fishing waters. But we both have to be open to any special conditions imposed upon us to protect any given fishery and to make it a level playing field for us all.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [gmwahl] To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-12-2014, 09:31 PM