Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
[quote Therapist]Here is the problem. I cannot tell you the last time I kept a SMB over 12 inches in length. If I caught a 4+, I would possibly keep it and have it mounted, but anything over 12 inches is released. I do keep limits of 10-12 inch SMB. Same with Walleye, I will keep one up to 4lbs, but anything over that gets released, after a pic. Again, if I caught a 12+ walleye, I might mount it.

That SMB that DeadI speared would look nice on the wall, but I have doubts about it being mounted. Therein is the problem with spearfishing, you can't release the bigger ones back into the water.
[/quote]

What's wrong with taking the large fish to eat. Which is what I did. There is no rule that states you have to mount a large fish if you keep it. I'm sorry but I do not agree with your thinking at all. The fish are there for us to use. They have a limit for a reason. If a person chooses to take a fish of a certain size as part of his / her limit they can. That is what the limit is for.

While we were at starvation we were checked by a DWE officer. I asked him how many scuba divers he sees up there. He said we were the first he had seen this month. I'm just saying I really don't think the fisheries are loosing many fish to spear fishing. The guys I know that spearfish are very conscious of the fish and want the best fir the fisheries so that they can continue to enjoy it as well.

If the state wants us to have a sign up ( for free ) to do surveys I'm all for it. Maybe this way we can put this silly argument to bed.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [Therapist] To spear...or not to spear? - by DeadI - 09-13-2014, 12:09 AM