Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
I am wondering... What state studies or proof do you have that spearfishing has affected the population of large bass and walleye in any significant way at deer creek or any other body of water in utah? I have seen no proof of that. If these guys are finding all these big fish to shoot at deer creek then my guess is that there are still lots of big fish there. Don't forget that as the population of small ones increases, the likelihood of catching bigger ones decreases not because the bigger ones aren't there, but because fisherman have to weed through more of them to get the big fish. Also, the big fish got big despite angling and spearfishing, and most likely NOT because of catch and release. The big ones are still there, but you need to learn how to target them. They aren't dumb, but are still able to be caught on the right bait, lure , etc...

It sounds like it is a personal feeling you have about it and not one based on evidence or research. I support your right to feel this way and do what you feel is best, but bring some data to the table for the rest of us if you want to convince us of the evils of spearfishing.

BTW, its called fishing because it involves harvesting fish and its regulated under fishing rules for that reason. Even fishing with a net is still considered fishing. What it is not is "angling".
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [ifishutah] To spear...or not to spear? - by gmwahl - 09-15-2014, 12:47 PM