Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spear...or not to spear?
A few comments. (maybe against my better judgement.)

1. [quote dubob][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Actually, what's laughable is the fact that you make a claim without backing it up with irrefutable proof - as in valid research studies involving data gathering and analysis that there is, IN FACT, an impact - large or small.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][#800000][cool][/#800000][/#000000][/font][/quote]

Laughable indeed. There is almost nothing pontificated on BFT that meets this standard. It should clearly be pointed out that there is no study that presents irrefutable proof that spearfishing does NOT have a potential negative effect either. If there was, then the various state game agencies would probably adopt a more uniform standard of regulations.

2. One may appeal to the statements the DWR has made that "harvest" is inadequate. Perhaps, but that paints a broad brush over potential specific issues like large bass harvest in certain waters. I do personally know one DWR biologist that felt that spearfishing DID partially adversely affect trophy bass numbers in Jordanelle. (But then he didn't have double blinded randomized studies with a high P value to prove it, so I suppose his opinion means little.)

3. From what I've heard from spearfishermen, bass are fairly curious fish. While not necessarily pushovers, their curiosity explains why we catch them on such weird lures when bassin and why they may be more vulnerable to spearfishing. If a species could be overharvested by spearfishing, it would likely be bass.

4. It has been discussed ad nauseum about large bass harvest. While I do have concerns about spearfishing and large bass exploitation, I do not believe that spear guys are any worse than the majority of hook and line anglers in keeping big bass and ignoring the overabundant smaller ones. Sadly, and as predicted, sensible "selective harvest" will probably never happen because most bassers refuse to harvest any fish and most of the rest of the anglers (H&L and spear guys) are only interested in big ones.

5. Am I anti spearfishing? Heck no! I would like to try it, if the time and opportunity presented itself. My opinion (without irrefutable proof) is that in 95+% of cases it cases no problems at all. However, I would like to see the DWR carefully study the issue so we do have some(maybe irrefutable) proof that whatever regulation is decided on, is the best one.

P:S; One last thing. Last year, the DWR announced a compromise between H&L anglers and spear guys, when they set the spearfishing regs for this year. I liked the changes they made last year. It does show that all of us can come together and address all concerns, yet provide opportunity without all the acrimony.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
To spear...or not to spear? - by TubeDude - 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Re: [dubob] To spear...or not to spear? - by doggonefishin - 09-16-2014, 04:32 AM