Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP NEEDED...Utah Lake Pike
[#0000FF]There is always that sword hanging over Utah Lake, since the feds are involved.

Howsomever, I was somewhat tapped in to the Davis Lake thing in California. Used to fish it a lot when I lived in Sacramento...and followed the situation with interest. The pike problem there was similar to the 11 Mile Res. situation in Colorado. Started out as a trout only pond and once pike were illegally introduced they ran rampant...chowing down on the resident slimers.

As the saga unfolded at Davis, the first eradication program was successful...only until some other bucket bozos dumped some more pike in. And again.

Got my doubts that there will ever be a complete wipeout of Utah Lake. First of all, prohibitively expensive...even if they could find enough rotenone. Secondly, it would have to be perfect timing to get the Junies upstream and out of the lake during the "margarita dump". And any Junies still in the lake, including juvenile non-spawners, would all perish. Perish the thought. Also, as it has been suggested before, the best case rotenone job would still leave specimens of all species unscathed to repopulate. Lots of tributaries, marshes and other hidey holes where all but the most intense poisoning would leave some survivors.

I have no doubt that the increase in pike numbers has caught the attention of the sucker-huggers. And I also have no doubt that there will be plenty of bucks allocated to keep them in check...if not to entirely eradicate them. Good luck with that.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
HELP NEEDED...Utah Lake Pike - by TubeDude - 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] HELP NEEDED...Utah Lake Pike - by TubeDude - 02-23-2015, 10:28 PM