Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tale of two tubers 3-10-15
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]

After a couple of hours of non-stop nothing, I picked up the rod rigged with a home-painted fire tiger Ratltrap. Had watched a program a while back about jigging them for walleyes...lift and drop rather than the customary retrieves. At the end of one long cast and allowing the lure to bounce off the bottom a couple of times I lifted the rod tip to find that I had a snag. But when I tugged a couple of times to try to get it loose the snag tugged back. No flashy fight. Just a humongo big fat egg-laden mama walleye. She was too big and too old to be too inexperienced to know how to hold on. She just din't wanna. So she gave me a big wide-mouthed snaggle-toothed grin, shook her head at me and gave me back my purty painted lure. I had already decided I would gently release her to dump her eggs but I really woulda liked to catch that toothy Smile on camera first. Wouldn't even stick around for a selfie.

[/#0000FF][/quote]

I found out how deadly this tactic works a few years ago and it is one of my go to methods for catching fish... it works for a lot of species, but walleyes seem to like it in particular. In warmer water you can rip it faster... it is surprising how fast they react to a ripped lipless bait!

I really like Rapala's "rippin' rap" for this purpose but really any lipless rattle style bait works!!!

This method works good on the ice too.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Tale of two tubers 3-10-15 - by TubeDude - 03-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Tale of two tubers 3-10-15 - by Gemcityslayer - 03-11-2015, 09:44 PM