Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tale of two tubers 3-10-15
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Actually, I first started using that system...lipless crank lifted and dropped...over at Starvation about 3 years ago. Discovered it by accident. Had a "professional overrun" on my baitcaster on a long cast. Got it picked out and reeled down to the resting crank. Gave it a jerk, let it settle and started bringing it in. Some silly walleye decided it wanted to keep it there...in his jaws. After that I caught several more the same way. Some smallies and a couple of big rainbows too.

One thing I also discovered on that trip was that you definitely need a good split ring or crosslock swivel on the eye of the lure...so that it can swing and rattle easily. One lure I tied on without a split ring felt funny and did not get any love. As soon as I retied with the same lure...after installing a good split ring...I was back in business.

And I have also tried it through the ice. But my experience has been that it works better to bring fish in so you can catch them on the second rod...either dead sticked or lightly jigged with a smaller offering. I know some guys in the midwest regularly catch some real porker walleyes on the jigged cranks.

I also know that they work well through the ice for pike at Yuba.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I have always loved lipless baits, rattlin' rapala's, clackin' raps, rippin' raps, there are dozens of them these days almost every company makes a lipless rattling crank. I started out using them just cast and retrieve. At night especially, a slow steady retrieve with the lipless rattling baits can work really well for walleye. Caught a lot of fish doing that before I switched to swimbaits doing the same thing...steady retrieve. They both work well for me.

But one day I was casting and thinking about the name "rippin' rap". Decided to cast out let it hit bottom, rip it... and repeat... only got a rip or two in and nailed a nice drum. It was fish after fish. I think the pulsing vibration on the upswing and wobble on the fall, with the clud of hitting bottom... really gets them going. Get lots of drum fishing them that way but plenty of walleye too. They'll hit it on the lift, the fall, and often smack it on the bottom.... it is a fun way to fish.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Tale of two tubers 3-10-15 - by TubeDude - 03-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Tale of two tubers 3-10-15 - by Gemcityslayer - 03-12-2015, 01:41 AM