Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Knife Recommendation
Jeff, being an old "fish butcher" I've learned a few things about knives that apply to myself, but I think sharing would be good.

First, my "go to" knife for most fillet jobs is a rapala 8" fillet knife. If you can't shave with it then sharpen it or it won't do a very good job. Properly sharpened, it will glide through the average fish, rib bones and all, and leave nothing for the scavengers on the carcass.

Second knife I use, and this is only for heavy bones/big fish, is a 10-12" butchers knife, again, razor sharp. It is stiff as a board and will cut through the heavy ribs and backbone on the big fish without grunting at all.

I do think that it is mostly in the technique though. I almost always fillet the whole side, ribs included, with one pass and cut out the rib bones and pin bones from there. When I'm done all the meat from belly to back is on that fillet with only a sliver missing where the pin bones used to be.

I've tried the electric knives and they are OK, but they are somewhat unwieldy and batteries and cords are a pain when you're on the boat or shore making quick work of a carp. I prefer the fine control of a fillet knife myself.

Good luck deciding, I'm off to the marina now to net about 100 suckers and fillet them up for bait. I'll be using the butcher knife for these![Wink]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fillet Knife Recommendation - by SkunkedAgain - 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Fillet Knife Recommendation - by gmwahl - 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM