Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Knife Recommendation
I have a 9 inch Rapala that I like very much. Rapala's used to go under the J. Martin signature, but now they just have the Rapala name on them.

Dexter Russel makes a very fine fillet knife as well. They have a plain molded plastic handle as they are made for professional and commercial use. They tend to have stiffer blades and are made with very hard surgical stainless steel that keeps a laser edge. One of my favorites. I used to buy mine at the local commercial fishing supply in Homer.

When I was a college student I filleted halibut several summers in Homer, Alaska and I dare say I have fillets more fish in those four summers than most people will ever fillet in their whole lives. 10s of thousands of pounds of Halibut, cod, rock fish, sea bass, salmon, ling cod, etc. What ever was brought in. I sliced it all. I could flawlessly fillet a 30 pound halibut in less than a minute.

Keep the blade sharp and learn how to control it. The Rapala seems to have pretty decent steel in it. Good steel is the key.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fillet Knife Recommendation - by SkunkedAgain - 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Fillet Knife Recommendation - by Outfishing13 - 05-29-2015, 05:09 PM