Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach night shift
[#0000FF]You should go back out again tonight. If nothing else you will get to watch some fireworks across the water. That can be purtiful.

Kind of a transition stage right now. The big male cats are either just leaving the nests or still guarding the eggs. They will not go into post spawn mode for a little while yet. But once they finish their domestic duties they will go on the chew...and will feed mostly after dark.

A better place to look for the big post spawn fish...both male and female...will be in waters close to where they just finished spawning. That could be Bird Island or off the rock shelves at Lincoln. And they often come into very shallow water after dark, so it is wise to use a bobber when fishing around rocks. Really cool to see one of those lighted models go cruising around and then dive underwater.

I still remember a trip from the long ago when several of us cataholics were set up for bank tangling off the rocks at Lincoln...after dark. It was also a moonlit night and you could see a long ways across the calm surface. Our bobbers were easily visible where they floated in only a couple of feet of water. Every once in a while a big denizen of the deep would come swimming along in even shallower water...pushing up a big bow wave. And if we slowly reeled in our offerings to intercept the fish we were usually rewarded with action...a hard take, a mighty splash and wallow and then a screeching reel as the big cats tried to make it back out to deeper water. I can almost hear the theme music from Jaws as I reckymember that night. I also recall that of the four of us we only managed to bring in a couple of the bigguns. We did get several under ten pounds but two were easily half again that big. And some that cut us off on the rocks must have been at least 50 pounds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln Beach night shift - by Boatloadakids - 07-04-2015, 02:51 AM
Re: [Boatloadakids] Lincoln Beach night shift - by TubeDude - 07-04-2015, 01:58 PM