Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catch and release to be or not to be?
Frogfish- I can't believe how you could even think the old 2 over 18 rules was better. Sure the fishing was good but the average size was way down. Now they are a easy 4" bigger and healthy. Just because you catch a couple fish that have ripped mouths or war wounds is definetly not any reason to change the regs. Heck if you really fish this lake you'ld know how bad the violations are now and how they were before they changed the regs. I'd have to commend the DWR for blessing the locals with such a great fishery. I just wish we could get that water level back up to the road.

Selective harvast on most lakes, I believe it is better to release the bigger fish mainly because they are put and take lakes. With the constant harvasting of smaller or dumb planters how can anybody expect to catch a decent or trophy size fish. Most of the trophy lakes can support a large population of larger fish because they have the lake structure that can support them. For example take Otter Creek, it has general regs and produces some above average size fish. Why, for starters the food source is larger and the lake is much shallower and produces a great number of forage and habitat. This is much the same as Minersville but has trophy regs. Or the other side of things like Boulder where access is very limited but produces outstanding brook trout. Most of you know this area has many problems with stunted brookies but with the current regs and fisherman keeping a good number of smaller brookies you will rarely find a place that stunts, but only if fisherman keep those smaller fish. I think Predator put it best when he said "understand the lake your fishing".
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [frogfish] catch and release to be or not to be? - by hedgesd - 01-14-2004, 08:23 PM