Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers
[quote not-a-purist]As a fabricator, I can appreciate those riggers. Looks like they will work just fine. They look a lot like Big Jon Downriggers.

Pretty impressive.[/quote]

Thanks! I've been happy so far. We just had to use what was available on the cheap. My brother had some 4" square aluminum and some old [but still usable] bearings. I got the pulleys for the ends of the booms on Amazon as well as the Berkley line counters [which work...most of the time]. The toggle switches and limit switches were on eBay and only ran a couple bucks a piece.

So far the only drawback is the spool. If we had more cheap materials available to us I would have made a larger diameter spool with a narrow groove like the ones on a Scotty or Cannon. Instead, we have a wide spool with a very narrow diameter. I chose braid over cable because I thought the cable might kink or bend too much being wound so tight. But what we have still works.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [not-a-purist] Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers - by Hazzy_Hazbourne - 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM