Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers
Update on the tagged fish we caught on the trip:

Cutty:
"This fish was captured in the Swan Creek cutthroat trout trap on May 6, 2015. This fish was measured, examined for marks, tagged, and then released upstream of the trap so it could spawn naturally in Swan Creek. The fish was a female and was 23” long at the time it was captured. The fish had an adipose fin which means it was unmarked and originated from natural reproduction in one of the tributaries to Bear Lake. Without actually examining both fish I am unable to determine its exact age at the time you caught it, however, after checking our past growth records for fish of similar size I would estimate the age of the fish at 5-6 years old."

Laker:
"Our tagging records indicate that this fish was originally caught in a gill net set by UDWR biologists on April 29, 2014 off of the Marina in approximately 164 feet of water. The fish was measured, tagged, examined for marks, and released unharmed. The fish was approximately 26 inches long at the time we tagged it. The fish was marked with a left pelvic and adipose fin clip which indicates it originated from the hatchery sometime after 2001. Without examining the fish I am unable to determine its exact age, but after comparing it to our database of known age fish that were approximately the same size, your fish would have been approximately 6-7 years old at the time you caught it."

A big thanks to Scott with the DWR for getting me the information on the tagged fish. He's awesome.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Hazzy_Hazbourne] Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers - by Hazzy_Hazbourne - 08-12-2015, 06:51 PM