Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers
Quote: I am looking at going to Bear Lake soon but have never fished it. What do you recommend fishing with and where out there?

I am in no way, shape or form a Bear Lake expert. I can tell you what I've caught them on before but I've had more skunky trips on Bear Lake than I have had successful ones. I mostly go off the DWR fishing report and look for anything from BearLakeFishGuy. He really knows his stuff. That being said, I can tell you what has worked for me:

During one awesome trip in Jan. 2014 we timed it right and hit the rock pile at the onslaught of the cisco run. Our boat landed 18 nice cutts that day, the majority of which were caught on squid/dodger combos. I caught five of those (to include the cutthroat in my profile pic) on an RMT hyperplaid dodger and a pink RMT super-squid. (I've also been skunked on this same set up when it was the hot ticket the trip before.)

Various Rapalas work well at different times. Broken-back Rapalas seem to have a little more strike-inducing action but this past trip I didn't get any love on them. The picture of the three Rapalas in my original post are what they seemed to prefer (at least on Cisco beach the beginning of August). The silvery husky-jerk Rapala seemed to get the most strikes.

Good luck on your trip!!!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Quicky] Bear Lake 8/3-8/7: Homemade Downriggers - by Hazzy_Hazbourne - 08-31-2015, 08:31 PM