Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FL Keys in December
No, I'm guiding on the Gorge when its open water (most of the time lately!), building rods, and taking a break. Can't guide 12 months straight any more! I go tarpon fishing now and then and let the guide do all the work while I just spot and cast. I like being on that end of the boat!

Guiding in the Keys is expensive, as is living there. Extra licensing, higher insurance, more expensive gear, and the salt water that kills everything adds up. Rent is sky-high. Hours are much longer and the work (poling, bait, handling 100+ pound fish, etc) is more physically demanding too.

Two months fly fishing in Montana, and 7 months mack fishing on the Gorge is enough for me. I fill in the off-season with fishing the local rivers (WY), and a tarpon trip or two.

[shocked]Hijack alert!!![shocked]

Back on track, the Keys are, in fact, the best fishing in North America though. There will be something very fun and very cool to catch in December. The only ice will be in a glass. The OP should call a few captains, discuss the possibilities, and decide the night before the trip what species to target and the methods to do so. Let the conditions tell you the best options, and follow them. That's how it works in December down there. It will beat the hell out of any December fishing in Utah. Well, almost.[Wink]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
FL Keys in December - by jamon_negro - 12-01-2016, 01:16 AM
Re: [Tarponjim] FL Keys in December - by chinook - 12-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Re: [chinook] FL Keys in December - by Tarponjim - 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM