Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tube vs. pontoon
[quote rusty-hook]I know this might start a fire storm of comments but here it goes
I have been fishing with a Cumberland float tube for about 10 years now. It is easy to move in and out of the water which is good as I am 70 years damn old. I have purchased a pontoon boat from Cabelas but it is still in the box. What are the advantages and diSadvantage of both and which is best to use at my age? I can take back the pontoon boat and get my money back however, I am not sure which is best to use at this point. Very Confused however, it is very common at my age to second guess my dissensions.[/quote]

TD wrote the book on this, and it is extremely helpful- consult his material first!

I am near 70 and have several of both kinds, here are some things important to me:

Which pontoon did you get, some are easier than others?

Pack in toons in particular, have many smaller parts which can be a hassle to assemble. Losing even one assembly pin in the sand or water can be a real pain.

IF you plan to collapse your tube or toon each time, toons will take much longer to assemble especially if done at both ends of the trip (less time fishing).

If you will be using without waders in Summer, toons are higher off the water, so you don't sit marinating your hind quarters from splashed water or waves.

I find a thick skin tube vs. toon to be better for rivers in my area, because of the many large boulders just below the surface that get caught on one tube or between the 2 tubes, especially when running shallow rapids. For me, powering upstream on a tube against current is more difficult, so I either use a bridle or portage up using backstraps- if I need to go upstream.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
float tube vs. pontoon - by rusty-hook - 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Re: [rusty-hook] float tube vs. pontoon - by pontoonman - 03-04-2017, 10:23 PM