Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho Streams in Late June and Early July
I visited three Idaho streams in late June and early July. (This was the beginning of my three month long camping trip.) Idaho got a huge snowpack last winter, and it has taken forever for it to melt. What a great year for the fish and farmers both.

Even at the end of June I had a hard time finding streams that weren’t still blown out over their banks. As it was I went way up high on the watersheds to get to fishable water. In some of our drier years the areas I fished with full water now, would be very tiny and have a quarter of the water in them.

Here is the first stream I visited. It’s full bank to bank, but the clarity was great.

[Image: DSCF6794a.jpg]

The weather was variable, with sun in the morning, clouds at noon, and thunderstorms by afternoon. The fish didn’t seem to mind much.

[Image: DSCF6788a.jpg]

I was using a Parachute Adams for most of the day until I saw one lonely green drake hatch. After that I switched to a green drake and the fishing exploded. Most of what I caught were 10 to 13 inch cutthroats, but a few were larger.

[Image: DSCF6792a.jpg]

I lost a couple of fish and then got a really nice one on. That fish ran me all over the creek, upstream, downstream, over the rocks and under the willows. Then he was gone. I had to sit down and catch my breath. He gave me a run to remember. I pulled my fly in to clean it up and found that I had been losing fish because I no longer had a tip to my hook. I am in awe and amazement that I had the last fish on for so long on a worthless hook!

[Image: DSCF6795a.jpg]

I loved fishing this little creek, but the mosquito population was insane. I camped high on the driest hill I could find, and they still were attacking in battalions. I would leap into my truck as fast as I could and 30 or 40 of the buggers would get in with me. Soon the inside of my truck looked worse than my grill on a bad hopper day. There were squished bugs everywhere. I had good bug spray on, and I wasn’t getting bit, but they were driving me NUTS! So I had to move on to find a more peaceful venue.

A good snowpack and a wet spring are good for the rivers and fish, but it sure brings out the bad in the mosquito population.

To be continued: Tune in again for the next adventure of the crazy summer of 2017.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Idaho Streams in Late June and Early July - by cpierce - 10-24-2017, 03:47 PM