Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan B Utah Lake 12-1-17
[#0000FF]Had a trip planned to Bear Lake today, but postponed it 'til next week...hoping the whitefish action improves. Still wanted some tugs so I headed for American Fork Harbor this morning. I have done well there in late fall in the past.

Daybreak saw 36 degrees air temp and 41 degree water temp. Mostly cloudy early, but nice and calm. Water about 3-4 feet deep inside the harbor. No fish found around the docks or in the channel on the way out. Didn't mark anything on sonar either.

Kicked my way out to about 5 feet...straight out from the harbor entrance. Started seeing some isolated marks...white bass I guessed. And I turned out to be right. Not the same as Bear Lake whitefish but "love the one you're with"...or whatever.

Had a couple of new things to try out today. One was a new design for a horizontal rod rack. Worked great. The other was a newly constructed folding yard stick for fish measurement. It worked well too. Glad I got to test it on a 28 inch kitty.

I also wanted to try some new colors of mini fligs on white bass. Got bites on several colors but the hot pink worked best. Hot pink is a good color in Utah Lake this time of year.

Just for grins I also brought along a couple of meat rods and some left-handed blue-eyed minnows...and some previously frozen baby white bass. Figured I might as well tempt a chilly kitty or maybe a walleye with some substance. No walleyes, but managed about a half dozen slowed-down cats...including the one 28 incher. Most were about 2 footers.

Also got a couple of mud cats and had several more steal or mangle my lovely minnows. #@$%& The white bass also relieved me of some minnows. Some got busted and some escaped...with the goods.

It stayed cold all morning. Kept my gloves on until I left. Just about the time I thought I might do without them a chilly little breeze came up and suggested I might keep the gloves.

Probably caught about a dozen white bass. Kept about five...the first one for bait and then 4 of the larger ones thereafter for some "scampi and noodles". Good stuff.

All in all, an enjoyable morning. Had the whole lake to myself. A lot shorter drive than Bear Lake and got some good tugs too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Plan B Utah Lake 12-1-17 - by TubeDude - 12-01-2017, 11:00 PM