Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneakin' at Lincoln 6-6-18
As to hook size: most of my life I have gone after the piscies with little mouths that eat little things; think stream trout and bluegills. You know, where a size 8 hook is huge and 6 is out of the question. I have moved up in size for the cutts at the two S lakes. Now I'm ready to fully embrace the ought-size hooks for cats. When I got some 1/0 and 3/0 I thought I had hit the big time. Then I fished with Ice_sled! A 6/0 is small-to-medium for him. I do believe he wouldn't mind tying on a 9/0. And you sure don't have to hide those hooks like you might for trout: #16s covered with a bit of fuzz and feather. Subtle, cats are not, I'm finding out.

I really like the idea of the double-hook rig for the large baits. Sooner or later I'll get around to using them. I saw a YouTube video of someone trolling at Utah Lake in February with a slab of cut bait the size of a piece of toast. They must have used a double rig. They hauled some good-sized cats in, too.

Now about the dumb questions. I have never (mostly) been afraid to ask the "dumb" questions. I like to know stuff and I'll try to learn any way I can. Heck, I even like to be told when I'm wrong (mostly) -- next time I won't be, hopefully.

Now, for the rest of the story. I've gotten to the stage where I might ask the same question over again without realizing it. Just try to be patient with me if I do that. And I may repeat myself. And I may repeat myself.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Messages In This Thread
Sneakin' at Lincoln 6-6-18 - by TubeDude - 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Sneakin' at Lincoln 6-6-18 - by catchinon - 06-09-2018, 09:37 PM