Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Lake Restart has started
Yesterday I participated in the rotenone treatment at Pelican Lake working with a lot of great folks who care about this fishery and getting it back in production. We had nice cool windy weather which helped disperse the rotenone throughout the lake and by the end of the day, it appeared we were having great success with lots of dead carp (the target pest) along with the bluegill, bass and occasional catfish. While crews spread rotenone others worked at collecting dead fish to remove some of the possible stench of decaying fish and also collect some statistical information. The Lake will remain closed to all recreational activities from Oct. 10 through Oct. 31 to allow the rotenone to take its full effect and dissipate. After that the lake will be restocked with a few adult bass and a bunch of adult bluegill to get things started to recovery. I'm sure more will be planted prior to the spring spawn in 2019, but I wouldn't plan on catching much at Pelican for at least a year. Without competition and poor water quality caused by carp, I'd expect some really good growth from the bass and bluegill so hopefully Pelican will be back in business by spring 2020. I can't wait!!!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Pelican Lake Restart has started - by fishnate - 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM