Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE Most Essential Ice Fishing Tool
I know the sleds, augers, wheelers, snowmobiles, boots, tents, jigs, tip-ups, rods, reels, depth finders and all the other gear is necessary for successful ice fishing.
However, THE most essential thing to have with you is a throw rope. Ice picks are also highly recommended but a rope is a true life saver.

Your throw rope doesn't have to be an expensive pre-made commercially available unit although several are available and they are not very expensive when you consider the average funeral is about $8,000.00.

My throw rope is 100 feet of 3/8" poly which I chose because it floats. On one end is a 18" boat bumper that weighs about 1.5 pounds. I can throw the float over 30 yards without much effort. About three feet above the boat bumper is a large D-ring that allows the person in the water to hook the rope around their chest. Once in very cold water you will lose your fine motor skills quickly and you may not be able to hold on to a rope unless is it secured around your upper chest. I had the old boat bumper and the rope and D-ring were about $15.00, pretty cheap compared to the alternative.

I make a point to show the rope to all of those in my party and I show them how the rope can be deployed quickly. Always position the throw rope where it is handy and readily available if anyone goes into the water. In a large party it is a good idea to have at least two throw ropes in case more than one person goes for a swim.

Ice fishing will be upon us soon and early and late seasons are the most likely to result in accidents. Check new ice carefully and don't go out alone in marginal ice conditions.

Everyone be safe out there and watch out for everyone else on the ice. None of us want to live through or hear about another ice fishing accident.

Mike
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
THE Most Essential Ice Fishing Tool - by TopH2O - 11-04-2018, 12:53 AM