Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishen Last Weekend
I’m not having great numbers lately, but I’m having fun trips. So thought I’d roll all the trips together and then it might sound better.
Took a day off work to go fishen and wouldn’t ya know it the refrigerator conspired against me and died. So Thursday was find a new fridge day, but being addicted I got up early and hit Cutler ice and it’s really tough now, but I did pick up 4 small crappie about 7-8” before the stores opened. Rest of the day was getting fridge stuff handled.

Friday I took the trip I planned the day before. After the Ridley fritter and chocolate milk stop I buzzed up to Porcupine by about 7:30 and found two others were already there and I’d brought my sled so I parked below and took the train into the pond. Looks like a ton of folks have been in there in the last two weeks so the road was fine to get in there. I went up to the spring to get on the ice and there were at least 6” of edge ice so I took the sled and gear sleds on the ice. 11” of ice on the main pond. First spot had a flurry of early fish and I couldn’t land them. Missed four or five hits and lost a couple at the hole which I hardly ever do, but I did this trip. Then it really slowed down and I finally hooked one on the jjj and landed a 12” skunk breaker cutthroat. Then it was a long delay and I started to get the move bug and just as I was moving the jjj nailed another fish an 18” spawning brown female. Pretty fish and fun fight. Well that got me to stay another hour and I didn’t see another fish on the graph or camera. Well I moved and moved again and just as it was time to go I seen one more fish on the graph but couldn’t talk it into playing. So I headed up the boat launch draw with my sled and two gear sleds. As I got close to shore it looked dicey so I punched it and flew right up and across it. All was good till I got to the top of the dam and didn’t see a rock frozen in the snow. It took out my Smitty ski and split the upright mounts and busted the ski off. So I had to retrieve that sled with the truck. Thus making me late and earning a no fish Saturday for me with the wife.

But my wife likes to sleep in on Saturday’s so I might’ve hit Cutler till 8:00 and caught two crappie an 8” and nearly 12” one. After being good all day my wife let me hit the farm pond for around a dozen sunfish and 2 tiny crappie.

Well it was slow and nothing exciting for the contest but still fun and I enjoyed it. Later J
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Ice Fishen Last Weekend - by SkunkedAgain - 02-04-2019, 04:47 AM