Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Wind" is a four-letter word
Yesterday, I made a solo trip to Strawberry to practice using my side imagining to locate trout. When I have other guests on my boat I feel pressured to get fishing and I wanted to not feel that pressure by fishing solo. Great plan except for the typical 11:00 AM wind, at Strawberry, began before 8:30.[frown] Side imaging is difficult to use when the boat is rocking and rolling in white-cap level wind. In the short time I had to practice I did have some success in locating fish.

I tried anchoring up several places but the wind was so strong that it would drag the anchor. I discovered that the anchor would just slide across the heavy seaweed on the bottom and as a result I would start out fishing in ~40 feet of water to quickly be in 60+ feet of water. As a result, I ended up fishing areas that were a little more protected (Mud Creek Bay and similar) that held few fish.

All wasn't lost, I discovered where the fish had moved to (One of Ralph's honey holes) and I got to visit Ralph's "Lure Me Inn" geocache again, at its new location (no longer on an island). [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=985589;search_string=Lure%20Me%20Inn;#985589"]Link[/url] I also got to see the kokanee spawn in progress.

[inline kokanee.jpg]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
"Wind" is a four-letter word - by kentofnsl - 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM