Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Safety Best Practices
Since we've had variable temperatures and ice conditions so far this season, and some lakes/reservoirs are just capping, it is a good idea to consider best practices for ice safety. Here are some I've thought about or read about:

1) Your safety is your responsibility!

2) Better safe than sorry - if in doubt, don't go out!

3) ICE IS NEVER 100% SAFE!

4) Don't blindly believe what you read on BFT, Facebook, other forums, etc. with respect to ice thickness and safe conditions (see #1-3 above). Ice conditions can change rapidly in time and space.

5) 4-inches is generally considered the minimum safe thickness for ice fishing (see Minnesota DNR general ice thickness guidelines). https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

6) Ice thickness can vary widely. It may be okay where you start, but don't assume it is safe everywhere else on the lake. Watch for pressure ridges and other weak spots.

7) Buy and use an ice chisel/spud bar (I picked one up for under $30). Use it to check ice thickness as you go (at least every 150 feet).

8) Buy and wear a pair of ice picks (a pair will cost you less than $10). Wear them around your neck (not much good if they are in your sled, your bucket, etc.).

9) Wear a life vest, especially on early ice. Or wear one of the new flotation suits.

10) Have a length of rope (50-100') that can be used to throw to someone else. Know how to tie a bowline (rescue) knot. You can pre-tie this in the end of rope you throw to someone else. Also consider a floating seat cushion or other flotation device that you can throw to someone who may have fallen through the ice.

11) DO NOT become a second victim - maintain a safe distance so you don't also go through the ice.

12) Don't fish alone. Even if you go to the lake by yourself, introduce yourself to your near neighbors on the ice and ask them to keep an eye on you. And offer your help to them in return.

13) Have a pair of ice cleats and wear them if the ice is slick. A fall on the ice can be painful.

14) Dress warmly in layers: a set of thermal underwear, pants and shirt, warm jacket, waterproof layer (jacket and pants). Have waterproof and warm boots (Sorels, Muck boots, etc.). Wear warm socks, hat, and gloves and have a backup of each. I like to keep a pair of sweat pants and a jacket in the car in case I need something dry to go home in.

15) Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!

Here's hoping we all have a fun and safe ice season!

What best practices would you add?
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none

Messages In This Thread
Ice Safety Best Practices - by joatmon - 12-25-2019, 07:04 PM