Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier Creek Dam 1/4/20
I went to Soldier Creek Dam with my friend Rinehart, his BIL and BFTer justaguywaworm, and their sons Colton, Zach, and Brody. They were kind enough to invite me along and made room on their snowmobiles for me and my gear.

The parking lot at Soldier Creek was full. We unloaded there and Rob parked his rig across the highway. Rob (justaguywaworm) had a nifty set up on the back of his snowmobile for their power auger. It was a small hitch hauler with a set of gun mounts that allowed the auger to be attached securely. See photo.

As we traveled down the road to the dam, we noted quite a bit of open water still in the Soldier Creek side. We did have one minor travel mishap. I was riding behind Rob and occasionally turning to check the gear on the sleds. He and I both turned the same direction once when were on a bit of a side hill and the sled started to tip. I bailed off and did a tuck and 2 rolls. Without my weight, Rob was able to steady the sled and get it back upright.

We got to the dam mid morning and noted there were three tents on the ice, but no one around. The other groups did arrive later to fish or retrieve their tents. We traveled out that narrow finger of land off the west abutment to access the lake, then fished on the east/dam side.

We set up and fished in about 20 fow. Ice was generally about 4 inches but seemed to get thinner to the north. Early it seemed the cutthroats were caught on small white tube jigs and green paddle bugs, tipped with either chub meat or a bit of night crawler. Later in the day we caught a few rainbows on white tungsten jigs and various Kastmasters, and a few cutthroats on various rigs/colors. Chub meat seemed to be the best bait overall.

Rob caught the biggest fish of the day, a nice 21.5” cutthroat. Everybody caught fish and we had a good time on the ice.

Thanks again Rinehart, Rob, and boys for allowing me to come along.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none

Messages In This Thread
Soldier Creek Dam 1/4/20 - by joatmon - 01-05-2020, 08:34 PM