Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snare spoon
[#0000FF]Once you have the basic weight/flasher, you can use any type of chain/wire/leader...of almost any length...to connect to the hook. Similarly, you can use any kind of hook or jig at the end. Believe me, over the years I have experimented with almost every possible permutation of weight, line and hook. Almost anything will work. And even a short length of 10# leader...or light wire...works better than the chains.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]A lot of perch jerkers...like Pikeman...prefer to use a small metallic spoon (Kastmaster) above a leader and a small jig. Principle is the same. Something to help get a light jig down to the right depth quicker...and to keep the slack out of the line to help detect bites better. The weight/flasher does help to attract fish to the rig...and the fish then go for the smaller baited jig/hook.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have watched fishes' actions and reactions to a flasher/jig combo...like the Hali...both on good sonar systems and on camera. Although they sometimes take a whack at the larger attractor, in most cases they simply give it a good look and then tip down to slurp the baited hook or jig.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, for what it's worth, that same system sometimes works well for vertical jigging in open water too. I have had days in summer or early fall...on open water...when my "holy jigs" caught the heck out of both perch and crappies...in bright daylight.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]So don't curse your damaged Hali jigs. Just remove the remaining chain and replace it with your choice of leader or wire...and your choice of bare hook or small jig.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread