Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Kayak Fishing Trip
Last Summer I bought my first kayak, Teton Angler 10'...mainly to be used for my duck hunting problem...works great....Not tippy, has the rod holders built in, says Angler on the side, so thought I'd give it a try...for fishing....I figured it'd be a little awkward for trolling, but that's what I do, and wanted to try it that way, for when I can go to E. Canyon, or RP, Echo, maybe Lost C....So yesterday (Sat,) I took it to my local Bountiful Pond for my amateur hour (and a half), starting at 1100...I met a buddy out there with his float tube, so I was able to go around both islands a couple times, trolling, while he could only go so far with the tube, fly fishing...good fresh air and exercise for both of us, so we had a good outing...My first set produced nothing (not surprising - hey - we're at Btfl Pond) so after 45 mins I switched from smaller rainbow Luhr-Jensen spoon, to 2" rainbow Rapala, tipped with little pc of nite crawler...I met up with my buddy one more time about noon, telling him I about had enough, and he hadn't had any hits either...With my rod tip up high and slightly behind me, I can't 'see' if I get a hit, so had to leave the 'bail' open, with clicker on, so I could 'hear' if I ever got a hit....I got a hit !! and I heard it...zzziiingg!  I thought it was a snag, or maybe a carp, cuz it didn't move at first....then I reeled a little, it took off...walleye?,carp?, bass? who knows, at Btfl Pond....rod bending, kayak going every which way, my buddy came over to check it out...hey, a real fish..at Bountiful Pond..and in my kayak!  He said he'd try to net it, but his net was too small...said it looked to be silver....I got it closer to my 'Yak'...(I can call it a 'yak' now, cuz I got a fish, right?) It Was huge, one of those very large breed stock 'bows, this one about 20"...very healthy looking, just a couple fins a little ragetty...got him safely released with my buddy's pliers (again, my maiden voyage) ... so I was happy and ready to head back...got to use my kayak ('yak) fishing, caught a fish, gave the shore crowd a show, socially distance fished with a buddy, got some good air and exercise...what a day...well, hour and a half....got some improvements to do on my 'yak', but hope to get it out again soon (somewhere else) ..Guluk...

Messages In This Thread
First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Jmorfish - 04-19-2020, 05:44 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Boatloadakids - 04-19-2020, 08:19 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Jmorfish - 04-19-2020, 10:44 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Boatloadakids - 04-19-2020, 11:36 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by SkunkedAgain - 04-20-2020, 03:45 AM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Fritzfishin - 04-20-2020, 12:24 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by RockyRaab2 - 04-20-2020, 01:17 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by dubob - 04-20-2020, 01:47 PM
RE: First Kayak Fishing Trip - by Jmorfish - 04-20-2020, 09:58 PM