Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Lakes (south east)
Years ago when all of this was just starting to ramp up, and this board had a much larger following, I posted a ton of information on here but it didnt generate a lot of following or help. It's just how it goes with any of our natural resource issues all the way from trying to get duck hunters to agree on a hunting season or to push back against outfitting and guiding for waterfowl and turkey.  To try and get some push back on this issue.

Like I said, I understand the concern around the  Quagga Mussel and the damage it can produce, but, yes, the launch fees are rediculous and it's a way that the canal companies are trying to recouperate monies that they say is due to them for allowing the public to use their Private Waters that are supposed to be for irrigation but they have allowed fishing and other water recreation to take place for years.

I and some others really pushe a lot of different, win win situations, at least we thought they were back then, but, we got no where.  If i remember correctly, and it has been years ago, there was support from I think it was Bass Masters group to do something other than the current fee structure. It isnt cheap to drive from Idaho Falls or even Pocatello for a day fishing or recreating in Franklin County by the time you figure in your gas, meals, oil, etc. And to top it off, you cant get your boat inspected at Franklin generally until 7 am and the same at Twin Lakes - 7 am.  At least at Twin, you are actually at the water to launch, but if you are going to use one of the other bodies of water, by the time you drive to Franklin get inspected and drive back, it's generally between 8 and 830 before you can even launch and you waste a lot of good fishing time just driving.  Yes you cant even launch until inspected.  I have launched at Glendale after getting inspected the day before earlier than the 7 opening, I just leave my book open on my dash for the person at Glendale to be able to see that I was inspected, but, they nail you for their money even before you put foot back on the dock when you are done fishing or boating so you still have to pay.

I still think to help those of us on the upper end of the valley, above Inkom Weigh station, the inspection station going south at the weigh station is still a super idea, but, it would have to be open before 7 otherwise we stilll dont get on the water until way after 9 by the time you get inspected and drive south. 

I really think F&G need to support the Idaho Sportsmen and women who pay one hell of a lot of money into this State, and push the legislature hard to exempt Idaho Boats from having to pay for this activity because we have already paid when we get our boat stickers, we pay for the invasive weed inspection and as long as we stay in the state, we are obeying Idaho Law on the Quagga Mussel and others. But, so far that has not only fallen on deaf ears, but, F&G gets hammerd so bad by the legislature, unfairly over everything, that they really dont pull much weight any more and sportsmen in Idaho loose every time due to politicians who have more weight pull to the real locals such as around Franklin county than any of the rest of us.

One way to stop giving money to the Franklin County area water ways, is when you register your boat and purchase your boat sticker, stop recognizing Franklin County on your sticker as where you use your boat most.  That give a lot of money down that way when you put them on the list.  Give your money some place else and then when they ask the state for money for waterways, there wont be much for down there until they start to listen a little more to those who are actually using the waters instead of every tom, dick, and harry who think they should be able to tell us how to use it and for what.

There I go, once again I got on my rant, but, it still has a soar spot in my mind from way back when I got beat up so bad for trying to get this stopped.  But, they won and continue to win even though we all comply with state law when we purchase our boat stickers.

I looked back at my old posts, and in 2008, this first started to take place around the Preston area.  In 2016, I even tried to get a petition to present to Marc Gibbs and others against what was going on.  Those are on my past threads if anyone wants to look them up.  I was even told by at least one local down there to give it up and to buy some shares of water down there then I would have a say in how the water was managed other wise to forget it because fishing to him wasnt important, it was irrigation water.  Any how, if you want to see more, click on my user name and look at my past posts, you will get some from down that way that arent associated with this issue, but, I think you can pick out the majority of them.  Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
Twin Lakes (south east) - by hunter12 - 04-23-2020, 09:28 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by duksnfish - 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by meancuznalfy - 04-24-2020, 02:34 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by duksnfish - 04-25-2020, 01:06 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by wiperhunter2 - 04-25-2020, 02:26 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by meancuznalfy - 04-25-2020, 03:12 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by duksnfish - 04-26-2020, 11:33 AM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by wiperhunter2 - 04-26-2020, 12:41 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by meancuznalfy - 04-26-2020, 04:58 PM
RE: Twin Lakes (south east) - by duksnfish - 04-27-2020, 12:46 PM