Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah state parks pass increase
(06-16-2020, 12:06 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: another money grab and the result will be only the elitists will be able to afford our parks.  Those with a $70K truck pulling a $120K Momba.  Personally I think there should be a tiered fee.  That's a great idea; all you have to do is convince your state legislators how wonderful, equitable, and manageable that will be for everybody and get them to sponsor legislation to make it happen.  Good luck!

If you are coming to use a table and the lake you pay $10, If you are coming to use the launch ramp too, that's another $20.  Another good idea.  How are we going to get our legislators onboard with it? 

Why should people without boats be paying for ramps, docks and patrol boats, they are not using them?  Hmmmm - please correct me if I'm wrong here.  Aren't patrol boats there to allow park personnel to ensure ALL water users are obeying the law, to assist ALL water user experiencing distress, and to rescue ALL water users in danger of drowning from a mishap?  Correct me if I'm wrong here; aren't all water users - boat users, float tubers, kayakers, paddle boarders, and yes, swimmers - benefitting from patrol boat usage by park personnel?

They are subsidising people with enough money to spend on those boats and trucks.  People that will dump $150 on fuel into their vehicle and boat in a weekend.  Why should the person with a tube they launch from the beach pay the same thing?  I don't know GF, why should they?

Bob, you are arguing for argument's sake, pointing out one or two words and using them as your strawman argument.  Most of Utah's boat usable or easily accessible lakes are state parks as RPF pointed out.  Jordanelle, Deer Creek, Rockport, Echo, Willard...A strawman argument is a fallacious argument that distorts an opposing stance in order to make it easier to attack.  RPF's stance is that State Parks are public lands, when, in fact, by definition, they are not.  I pointed that out with supporting information.  How is that a fallacious argument?  WET1 said that Utah locked up every public water inside a "state park".  That simply is not true and I gave a couple of examples that support the truth of the matter.  How is that a fallacious argument?

I want to know about the accounting, where will these fees be held until spent, how will the spending take place, who will decide what money gets spent on and who will keep track of it?  All that information is carefully hidden in the Utah Code.  Please feel free to do your own research and uncover it.  There are literally thousands of pages of Utah Code that covers all aspects of how the state collects and distributes all sorts of financial assets.  I'm not at all inclined to digging it out for you.

Will the parks buy more $12K side by sides to ride around in?  New trucks to be auctioned off with 60K miles on them, Boats?  Don't know; don't care.  Decisions like that are way above my paygrade which is retied and on a fixed income.
I can do this all day long.  But the moderators (and probably a lot of members) are growing weary of it and it has drifted away from the OP comment about fees possibly going up.  I'm done making any more comments on this thread.  I've tried to make what I consider salient points and counter less than factual information with the truth as I understand it.  Some of you agree; some of you don't.  I won't loose any sleep over it one way or the other.

If you feel like you have a dog in this fight, my final thought is this; contact your legislators immediately after the election in November and you know who they are and tell them what your position is on raising the fee to $150.  Based on my involvement with a couple of past law changes in the boating realm, I can say that waiting until the legislature convenes in January is too late because the bill will already be written and the sponsor will not be inclined to change it based on citizen comments.  Tight lines to ALL of you and go catch some fishies.   Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Utah state parks pass increase - by kentofnsl - 06-12-2020, 07:35 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by kentofnsl - 06-12-2020, 11:31 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by Bduck - 06-13-2020, 01:44 AM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by Joe_Hill - 06-14-2020, 02:21 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by WET1 - 06-15-2020, 03:21 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by dubob - 06-15-2020, 06:05 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by WET1 - 06-15-2020, 09:17 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by dubob - 06-15-2020, 10:54 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by kentofnsl - 06-14-2020, 12:27 AM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by dubob - 06-14-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: Utah state parks pass increase - by Tin-Can - 06-14-2020, 05:32 PM