Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT Convention at Lincoln Beach 6-23-20
(06-23-2020, 11:21 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Hey Pat,

Great report and thanks for the pictures. It was good to wave at you. I would call it antisocial distancing, as you say, but I really just didn't want to slow you down since you were just getting in the tube and ready to boogie.

Julie and I headed for the east part of mud lake. We had decent action when we first got there, but it died off quickly. I haven't reviewed the video but I think we got 10 between us. Scattered and slow as you said. We had no multiples and lots of time watching birds and "carpedoes." Best fish was 27 but we had 3 or 4 two footers as well. Since 27 was the biggest, Julie let me catch it, she's really good that way!

My little clarity monitor said 6". Just the same as last trip, so I'm not sure if that was the reason for the slower day, but it was still fun.

Odly, we didn't see a single dark fish. Did you?

Nope.  No married ones either.  I think the bigger mature fish are in the active stage of spawning right now.  About the first of July the females will have dumped their eggs and be on the chew...followed closely by the beat up males.  That will be the time to get some length for the contest...even if the fish look like they have been the victims in a protest march.

A pleasant surprise to see you there...and to get to meet Julie...the top rod in the fambly.

(06-24-2020, 01:02 AM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Good reports... or should I call them "bad' reports? I just can't find 'em. I've fished all of Lincoln, Mud Lake on the east, and the Knolls on the west. Slow fishin' everywhere I go. Seems like in years past this time of the year was when you could not keep two poles in the water and more often than not you would run out of bait. More water and more places to make love nests?? I've seen a couple of dark colored cats, the best one being the one Catrat caught last week.

There are some good cats in the Mud Lake area but they seem to be holding up in the stubby reeds and you need a machete or pruning shears to get them out. The Lincoln area has been slow for me but I note that Pisco and company seem to consistently find them.

I tried the Knolls last Sat. with my g-kids. Ourplanned attack was to be in kayaks. The forecasted 3 mph wind from the north turned out to be a 10 mph wind from the south. No cats were harmed. Skunked, you might say. Then too, it was a double skunk cuz I clipped a skunk on the road coming back home. Used some applied geometry as the skunk broke out of the grass about 50 yards in front of me going at a right angle to me at about 1 mph. My speed was 60 mph but I had to allow for a bicycle rider on my right. I had too use some creative driving to avoid a convergence. I managed to roll him over and wipe his nose with my right rear tire but avoided a big stink direct hit.

Ennyhow, back at it tomorrow. Maybe Bird Island? They gotta start showing up sometime. 

BLK
As most of us "seasoned" cat-chasers come to learn, catfish will show up and bite according to THEIR schedule...not yours.  Every year seems to be different.  This year the water levels have been high...for a good spawn...but that also tends to spread the fish out into more area.  And then the up and down temperatures do affect the temp-sensitive kitties.  When the water reaches and sustains 75 or more the game will be on.  But when the water gets above 80 you will do better at night for the biggest fish.  Remember?

Messages In This Thread
RE: BFT Convention at Lincoln Beach 6-23-20 - by TubeDude - 06-24-2020, 03:48 AM