Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is WD40 a good idea for fish attractant?
(06-29-2020, 07:47 PM)Mildog Wrote: Amen, Good stuff !! To each his own. I actually hate the Berkley gulp "plastics" (actually not plastic) but I have seen it out fish live bait a few times and have been told many times by anglers that it has for them as well. I use scents but not all the time. I have to admit I won't fish Kokes without Gulp Maggots, or other to tip my hooks....and for walleye, I sure like to tip with worms. In fishing there are no absolutes so one thing may or may not work from time to time that's the fun of fishing and trying to figure it out. One thing for sure, you catch fish on what you use !!!
Two quick stories,
#1 years ago at Lake Powell my father was using anchovies for Stripers, is there anything more smelly? He was hammering the stripers
his old buddy in the same boat ZERO, May dad started looking everything over, and set up was the same. Then he remembered how his buddy had splashed on the Old Spice after shaving in the morning (Quite heavy LOL) So pop cut off his leader retied it and baited his buddies hook for him, game on he started catching fish. They both could hardly believe it, something as smelly as a frozen anchovy made unattractive to the fish because he had some aftershave on his hands. TRUE STORY
#2 Forget the name but a "researcher" did some studies and had video to document. He put "clean'/ sterile lures out and they did not work as well. Then just to try something different on the other end of the spectrum, he dunked them in the sludge of his bilge all kinds of oils crud etc. Guess what ? The fish hit them much better and you could see it all on video. Go Figure !!
Mildog out
One of my all-time favorite gibes at anglers and their choice of baits was an old BC cartoon from the early 1980's.  In fact, it was cut out and hanging on the wall of the old Anglers' Inn in Sandy.  In it, one caveman was fishing and hauling fish out right and left.  Another caveman type who was also fishing...but catching nothing...asks the first one what he was using for bait.  The answer?  "Buzzard puke."  That was an inside joke with several of us old timers from that era.  We lived for the moments when some doofus asked the magic question..."Whatcha usin'?"  If we could avoid choking we blasted out the answer..."Buzzard puke."  Remember that?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is WD40 a good idea for fish attractant? - by TubeDude - 06-29-2020, 10:33 PM