Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Perch...DWR Response
(12-01-2020, 12:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 01:22 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Putting limits is a valuable way to help manage fish. But how do you manage people??
I think we need to educate fisherman. Who needs to take a full limit everytime they fish..
A few good fishers can limit out day after day on fish like kokanees,  and still obey the laws, but is getting a limit the way we find success?? 
Like most things we love we need to control our pleasures.
Reminds me of one of the routines from the late Zig Ziglar.  "We always had plenty to eat when I was a kid.  I know that because every time I asked for more my dad would tell me I already had plenty."

If we did not have a regulatory agency establishing limits, the "happy harvesters" would have a much greater effect on our fisheries.  Bad enough as it is.  But some people treat our sports fisheries as their own private fish market.  They feel entitled to harvest as many fish as they want on every trip.  With some of these people it is just an ego thing...to be able to brag about large catches.  With others, it is a cultural thing...and the fish caught are always consumed as a big part of the family food budget.  Still others fish for profit...selling off their catch to anyone who will pay for fresh fish.

I grew up in a "modest income" family in Idaho.  Everyone in my large extended family participated in our group fishing trips.  There was a friendly competition to see who could catch the most and the biggest...and there were some heavy harvest trips.  But there was never any waste.  All of the fish were properly cared for and utilized on the table. 

In short, we practiced "subsistence fishing".  This was a fairly common thing then...and I suspect some of that thinking has carried over into the next generation of anglers in many areas.  So we still have whole families fishing for limits...just because they can...and because they have never really been converted to conservation fishing.

As you imply, the problem with fisheries rape is not with faulty regulations.   It is with people.  DWR sets the limits based upon their studies of the waters, the species and "normal" angler participation.  They cannot account for the folks who deliberately set out to violate the regulations...use illegal fishing methods...and often without even buying a fishing license.  In talking with DWR officers I hear plenty of stories about groups caught with over limits, fishing illegally and none of them has a license.  That ain't DWRs fault...but it is their problem.

"In talking with DWR officers I hear plenty of stories about groups caught with over limits, fishing illegally and none of them has a license.  That ain't DWRs fault...but it is their problem."

Yes, it isn't DWR's fault.  And it is maybe their problem from an enforcement view.  But I think the issue may be even bigger that that.  I have only
 seen a DWR ranger at Willard maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years. I've seen one driving along the top of the dike once, and I saw one earlier this year driving thru the south ramp parking area obviously checking for passes.  Not saying they haven't been out there, but I have only seen their boat on the water once in over a year.  And yet I see lots of anglers along the shore lines, down near the inlet baffles, and even in boats that are never checked for fishing licenses, catch amounts, or type.  In my opinion, there just are not ENOUGH,  DWR enforcement rangers to get the job done. And that's a problem the state legislature  needs to deal with.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool

Messages In This Thread
Willard Perch...DWR Response - by TubeDude - 11-30-2020, 08:53 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by JArner - 11-30-2020, 09:12 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by FatBiker - 11-30-2020, 09:43 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by Springbuck1 - 11-30-2020, 11:18 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by TubeDude - 11-30-2020, 11:26 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by PBH - 12-01-2020, 03:37 PM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by doitall5000 - 12-01-2020, 01:22 AM
RE: Willard Perch...DWR Response - by TubeDude - 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM